Saturday, July 9, 2011

02. A Meme A Day Keeps The Doctor Away.

So my goal is to post something everyday, whether it is a proper 'post', an inspiration post, tutorial or whatever. This post in particular is brought on by the fact that I'm used to reading about how wardrobes should have some kind of 'theme' or 'style', but when I looked into my wardrobe I found it hard to get a vibe for what kind of theme / style mine had. As a result, I had a look around the internet for some fashion memes (in the form of a short questionnaire) and decided to see if by answering them, I could come up with some sort of opinion of my wardrobe. I decided on this meme.

1) How would you describe your style:

(Usually) comfortable and ‘cute’. Although some people (my boyfriend in particular), would probably say it has some degree of an ‘alternative’ twist.

2) What are your wardrobe staples:

Short shorts, skinny jeans / jeggings, oversized shirts and black, chunky, thick-heeled boots (usually up to half calve or just below the knee, buckles, lace ups etc). You can see a picture of the first pair I ever brought, here.

3) Most expensive item in your closet:

The most expensive item that I have personally brought is actually only $50, I know I’m such a big spender. The title of ‘most expensive item’ belongs to the boots (mentioned in the previous question), but also to two other pairs of boots that I have brought for the same price.

I also have an Aunt who occasionally buys me clothes / purses for birthdays / Christmases who is rather well off and has brought me a number of “brand” items (ie. Guess Wallet, Mimco pouch etc) which I know have cost me more than my boots.

4) Most wanted item:

Oh man, this is a dangerous question because I could write a whole blog post about my most wanted items. At the moment I'm having a massive love for animal printed things or animal themed jewellery, particularly cats & birds. For example, the cat blouse posted in my inspiration post and some of the following items:



To see more animal themed things, check out this section of my tumblr.

5) Favourite designer:

This is an awkward question for me as I actually don’t have a favourite designer, nor really know any besides a few of the major ones (ie. McQueen), probably because I don’t follow runway fashion / high fashion / whatever etc. For the sake of answering this question, I do believe the designers at ‘Baby, the Stars Shine Bright’ and ‘Angelic Pretty’ turn out some amazing
dresses, despite the fact I would never wear them (or be able to afford them).

6) How much do you spend on clothes:

Personally I don’t feel a lot. This is not to say I do not buy clothes, rather I hunt for bargains (for example, I spent $15 a few days ago and brought a dress, romper, cardigan, shirt for my sister & a pair of earrings which would have cost around $100 if they had been brought for the retail price on their price tags). Personally I would say I almost definitely spend less then $500 a year, maybe even less than $350. The fact that the person before me stated a ‘few grand’, makes me feel pretty good about this.

7) What are your favourite places to shop:

Thrift stores definitely and any kind of shoe store. I’m also a fan of (window-shopping) online.

8) Favourite fragrance:

Another difficult question for me as I don’t actively shop for fragrances. My Aunt (the one mentioned a few questions ago) brought me a little set of 4 perfumes in diamond shaped bottles which is what I use.

9) What is your favourite way to do your hair:

I can do my hair anyway and as long as I have a fringe (preferably a blunt fringe, but a side fringe is fine too) that looks good, I am happy. That said, my favourite way of wearing my hair is as follows:



So yeah, as you can see it only alternates between a blunt fringe & side fringe and that's how it's been for the last nineteen years of my life basically. At the moment I am sitting on a blunt fringe (my favourite). Apart from that, unless I am doing sport I just wear my hair out. Not very exciting.

10) What is your go-to outfit when you have no idea what to wear:

If I’m going somewhere casual it’s just skinny jeans / jeggings with an oversized slouchy shirt.

11) One fashion trend you wish would come back or stay:

To be honest, there isn’t one. I wish people would just wear what they want. That said, I would love to see more love for the more ‘natural’ approach to make up (less is more, make up isn’t a necessity etc). For a while I remember seeing quite a few articles on it, but that seems to have died out lately.

12) Show us the most prized possession in your wardrobe:

This would take so long to do as I don’t have any ‘outfit’ shots (note to self: start taking them). I’ll do a more in depth post answering this question and link it!

So what conclusion did I come to ? I apparently love boots, thrifting and being overall cheap in regards to fashion. Not entirely sure if that's helpful or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment